Are you ready to love yourself and love your life but you’re wrestling with your inner mean girl? I am sharing 5 simple steps I use to love myself and my life.
We have 50,000 thoughts a day and 80% are negative. Negative thoughts are as natural as breathing. I use to beat myself up for every mistake I made as a mum and criticise myself constantly. My inner mean girl would take over and make me second guess everything I did as a mum. I would never be so disrespectful and speak to my own kids or a friend in the same way as my inner mean girl would talk to me.
Over the past several years I have been using these 5 simple steps to love yourself and your life. These steps felt natural, down-to-earth, and easy. I am now more in control of that inner mean girl, who only occasionally appears from time to time.
Simple steps to love yourself and your life
1. Knowing what was important to me has helped to protect me from the influences of others. The things that are important to me are my family, health and respect. These things have helped me simplify my decision-making, minimize stress and help me love myself and my life. I am constantly reminded of my values because I have written them down in my diary and also saved them on my phone. What are the 3 things that are most important to you?
2. I have used the VIA character surveyand the Gallup strength test to identify my unique strengths. Focusing on my strengths has allowed me to align my career and hobbies. My life is easier and more enjoyable now. What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing?
3. I now take time out from thinking. My mind needs rest and time to wind down. I still find this very difficult because I love to learn new things. Learning fills my cup and replenishes my energy. I have to set goals around this to keep me accountable and I constantly remind myself of the importance of rest. When do you schedule rest to show how much you love yourself?
4. My gratitude practice is to rub a mixture of essential oils and coconut oil on my body after a shower at night. I thank my body for the work it has done for me that day. It is a great way to feel calmer, happier and more connected to yourself. How could you incorporate gratitude for the work your body has done into your day?
5. I use a positive affirmation on my mirror to remind me that I am enough. No need to do or be anything more. When I look in the mirror in the morning I also say something I love about myself. I am reinforcing positive things about myself so I can reprogram my brain to love myself and increase my confidence. What do you love about yourself?
What simple step would you like to start using in your life to love yourself more? I would love to hear which one is your favourite.
Imagine being able to connect with other mums experiencing the same struggles without leaving the house? Wellness Hour is a held once a month. It will help you connect and identify your biggest struggles, feel supported, discover the secrets to better wellness and finally, enjoy time for you without the distraction of life or kids.Click here to learn more.